What should or should not be stored in a self storage unit?
Self-storage is an excellent option for storing overflow of many different types of materials from your home or business. You can think of your storage unit as a second garage or business supply room.
You will be required to sign a lease indicating that you understand and agree to adhere to the rules and restrictions for what items are allowable. As a general rule, any item or material that is considered “inherently dangerous” will not be allowed.
Full disclosure of what you will be storing is required. Or, if you’re not sure if an item is allowed, call the self-storage facility ahead of time to find out. This will prevent any related inconvenience.
Here is a list of items which we are not allowed:
- Combustible, Flammable, Hazardous or Toxic Materials - these include gasoline, compressed gas, propane tanks, kerosene, lamp and motor oil, acid, grease, corrosives, fertilizer, paint, cleaners, chemicals, narcotics, or hazardous, toxic or biological waste.
- Asbestos or products containing asbestos are not allowed.
- Fireworks, explosives, weapons or ammunition are not allowed.
- Perishable Food and Animal Products - Canned foods can be stored in storage units, but perishable food products such as cereals, produce or meats are not allowed. These may spoil or attract pests.
- Any animals or plants – alive or dead – cannot be stored.
- Use of refrigerators, freezers, generators, space heaters or live in storage units is PROHIBITED.
Vehicles - Storing vehicles is generally acceptable, as long as they are registered, insured and in operational condition.
Construction Equipment - please check with the self-storage facility before planning to store any construction equipment.
Medical/Pharmaceutical Supplies & Equipment - While most supplies are acceptable, radioactive equipment – or anything that contains radioactive materials – cannot legally be stored.
If you have any question about any items
you wish to store please contact us.
Monday - Friday 10:00am to 3:00pm
Saturday 10:00am to 1:00pm
Office closed on Sundays
Tenant Gate Access: Seven days a week
Appointments after hours upon request
Office Phone: (860) 747-4395
After Office Hours Contact:
John Galvin (860) 214-2850